Thursday, November 18, 2010

Women Sticking Together

     One of the positive observations I have made here in Jordan is the way women stick together when it comes to housework. It is quite different from what I experienced growing up, where basically my mother was in charge of cooking dinner and doing the dishes. She often conplained about how many hours this took each night and how no one appreciated her. She would often remark to me, "Just wait until you have a family, and you will understand what I mean!! I hope you have three boys!"
     Well, I guess God heard her words and now I am married and have two sons. I finally understand what she was saying all those years. Yes, cooking dinner every night alone, and then doing the dishes is a long task lasting up to four hours. However, luckily for me, I moved to Jordan and am able to experience a different way of doing things!! It's called co-operation!
     Here, the women help each other. Dinner is prepared early, usually mid-day.  Sisters and mothers sit around and talk as they roll dowali (stuffed grape leaves); a task that depending on family size can take up to 3-4 hours. However, they use this opportunity to talk and enjoy one another. I haven't ever experienced one of them complaining that this is something they must do, and so, it is a pleasant experience.
     After the food is prepared, dishes are done and food is ready for serving whenever the family is hungry. This is also a great practice to get into as they can offer food to any visitor that might show up on an empty stomach. Jordanians are the greatest hosts and love to serve guests soda, tea and coffee. If there is food, they usually will not take "no thank you," for an answer and you will leave their home feeling very welcomed and usually quite full.
      After dinner is served to the family, all the women clear the dishes and everyone has a role in getting it all cleaned up. What took my my mom an hour plus to clean up takes them less than 20 minutes.
     Women helping each other also applies outside of their homes. I threw a birthday party for a niece and nephew and invited about four families to attend. After the food was served, what I experienced absolutely amazed me. It was like someone pushed a button, and the "Merry Maids" arrived. EVERY woman jumped up and grabbed a dish, glass, etc and wisked it off to the kitchen, where two other older nieces rushed to the sink as the rest of the women fed them dishes.
     I was in awe, saying "shukran, shukran!!" "No problem," they said as another grabbed a broom and started sweeping up. I turned around and another asked for a towel. I handed her a rather large towel, not knowing what it was for. A few minutes later, I walked into the dining area and saw two women with my bathroom squeegy on a stick and the large towel underneath, mopping the floor. The towel was so big it took two of them to manipulate!! I laughed at the sight, and ran to get something smaller! In about half an hour my entire house was clean and as if the party was just about to start. WOW!!! I love these ladies!
     This was really a great experience for me to see how the women really support each other and pitch in. It makes much more sense then simply complaining over and over again about doing it all by yourself. I am adopting this practice, however, only one dilema...God gave me two sons, so for now I am still alone in the kitchen. Maybe I need to have another baby :)

3 comments:

  1. Great story!! Something I love about Jordan too. I was raised to be a feminist, career-focused gal, and Jordanian women taught me how to love the kitchen and home and hospitality.

    I have three boys, and they have been helping since they were toddlers. Now they love to learn to cook (and I make them take turns with dishes). You are young...have another baby! The you REALLY see Jordanian women shine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow!What an awesome post.So glad to have connected with you although breifly here in JT. Your experience in Jordan I think is really important so I am glad to be able to read it first hand on your blog!
    Much love, Autumn Meadows

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kinzi, how funny, you have three boys!!! Just like my Mom wants me to have. I am glad to hear you have them help in the kitchen. I also have my boys cook, however they are still a bit young at 8 and 4 to do the dishes...so it's a matter of time before they lend a hand. My 8 yr old is able to cook a few things for himself which is really nice. Thanks for sharing :)

    Autumn...good to hear from you!! What a surprise. Thank you for reading. I am just amazed that people are interested, so it is very encouraging...say heloo to everyone for me!!

    ReplyDelete