Thursday, November 18, 2010

Habitat For Humanity...IN MY VILLAGE!!

     The door burst open and in ran my two little boys and their Uncle Ali. They greeted me in the kitchen enthusiastically telling me that there were Americans building a house next ours. (We started building a house in the village four years ago, and have been working on it steadily for the past year since we moved here.)
"Wow!!" I exclaimed, "isn't that cool!"
     A couple of days later I decided to venture out and meet our new neighbors. As we turned the opposite direction from our house, I began to wonder, "Where are we going?" I assumed we had another stop first, often things get a bit lost in translation as I am learning Arabic and my brother-in-law is learning English. No problem, I thought as we continued into the center of the village. Ali pulled over and parked the truck. I asked, "Where are we?" He replied, "We come to see the Americans!"
    Ok, so clearly I got the story wrong, I guess I will not be having American neighbors, darn! 
     I got out of the truck and we walked into a yard and up some steps under construction, past Jordanian workers and up to the top of the second story.      
 We were greeted by an elderly woman, I extended my hand and introduced myself. She seemed shocked that I spoke English. I had dressed up in my hijab since I would be out in public, perhaps I looked Arabic to her. 
 She was so excited to hear I spoke English and welcomed me as she led me around the corner of the top floor. To my surprise I was greeted by another American older woman, and another, and another. I looked out across the halfway built house and saw about a dozen senior ladies dressed up in work clothes;
jeans, t- shirts and gloves, all building the house! I just couldn't believe my eyes!
One lady, named Kaye, asked as she shoveled cement into a bucket, "Where are you from, hopefully not California as we already have too many Californians here!" I replied, "Well, yes, actually I am from California!" She continued, " However, I'm from the East Coast, Vermont."
"Typical Americans", I thought to myself, "always wanting to lend a helping hand." I asked, "How in the world did you all get here, in this village, in Taybeh?" The leader explained they were all from Habitat, (the short for Habitat for Humanity). Each person had made a $500 contribution towards the materials of the house and paid for their own airfare and accommodations while in Jordan. And on top of that, they were physically building the house. The houses in Jordan are made on cinder block and cement. These ladies (and two other men and his son), were actually doing it all; mixing the cement, shoveling it, slapping the mortar down and laying on the blocks!! I was in awe!  
     The leader explained that Habitat usually only gives them three days to complete the house. I gasped! "That's impossible!! How are you going to build a house in three days? We've been building ours for a year and it still isn't finished. Who do they think you are?"
The Leader and Me

 "Yes, I know", she replied. "Isn't it ridiculous? I begged and pleaded with the council and they actually are giving us a week, which is very special"
     "A WEEK!!" I exclaimed, "that still isn't long enough!" Again, she agreed, but that is just the way it is done.
I don't understand who will finish the house. I plan to ask some questions and find out who is in charge of the completion. Hopefully there is a plan, if not, I will have to find a way to get it completed. After seeing these ladies and gentlemen in their 60's and 70's lay brick, I am confident we can gather someone to help, if not I'll just have to do it myself! (And of course, if I do this, there will be a group of my family rushing in to help because in this culture, women do not work outside!) 

I think this is a family, (on right) as the father introduced himself as Abu Craig (father of Craig)
 So thank you, Habitat Ladies & Gentlemen for showing the people in this village,
women are strong even in their old age.
You are truly amazing!!

No comments:

Post a Comment